Friday 2 July 2010

Friday Puzzles #59

So a week or two back I saw a wonderful twist on the rules of heyawake, courtesy of Grant Fikes. I’m sure the more adventurous browsers of this blog will have already come across his wonderful page, but for those who haven’t then give it a visit.

Anyhow, the twist is this: instead of numbers in the rooms indicating which squares should be shaded in, rooms are labelled with either S, A, or not at all. Rooms labelled S should have squares shaded in with 180 degree rotational symmetry (which includes no shading at all), whereas rooms labelled A definitely cannot have that 180 degree rotational symmetry. Rooms with no label can be shaded any which way you like, provided you don’t break the other heyawake rules, which if you’ve forgotten can be found on the very handy “how to play” section there on the right. Anyhow, Grant’s puzzle was fairly gentle, but here I’ve been a bit keener to explore some of the logic, and how it interplays with some standard heyawake tricks.
    #070 A/S Heyawake – rated hard
I should also mention that some puzzles from a while back have been featured in the 8th edition of Dr. Gareth Moore’s Sudoku Xtra magazine. This is quite a cool magazine, and whilst I should stress that I’m receiving no commission or anything, it is definitely worth a look for all you puzzle fans – it’s packed with a lot of nice puzzles. As well as those WSC5 style puzzles I did, it features the Sudoku Islands puzzle from last Friday. So what the heck…here are a couple more. These are definitely on the easy side of things, but I do have some trickier ones in reserve that are part of my ongoing sudoku project. Enjoy!
    #071 Sudoku Islands – rated easy
    #072 Sudoku Islands – rated easy
All puzzles © Tom Collyer 2009-10

2 comments:

  1. That was my thinking when I did your puzzle – the flow to the puzzle was as naturally good as it is in a standard heyawake puzzle. I suppose this variation is a little harder to get started, but once you do, it’s certainly worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great puzzle. Nice extensions of the idea. Came up with new shortcuts to push through your new elements. very enjoyable. Thanks for the fun.

    Ken

    “The Subro”

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *